Welcome to St Kieran’s College school web site. As the oldest Catholic secondary school in Ireland, we have a proud tradition and have been central to the education of the people of the locality and the diocese of Ossory for over two hundred years. The school is set in extensive grounds close to the centre of Kilkenny City and serves the educational needs of over seven hundred boys.
Our ethos and culture reflect the diocesan nature of the school as we provide a rounded and holistic education for the pupils in our care. We are proud of our academic record as is evidenced by the successes of our pupils in the Leaving Certificate over many years. We are proud, too, of the wide range of extra-curricular activities that we are able to provide in sports and other areas and we are of course renowned as the most successful school in the country in hurling competitions.
Recently, a team of Inspectors from the Department of Education and Skills conducted a Whole School Evaluation in the school. It is tremendously gratifying for everyone involved in the St Kieran’s College community that the findings are so positive and are a glowing endorsement of what the school seeks to achieve. We are told that:
- The vision for the college is clearly focused on providing students with high-quality educational experiences and outcomes.
- There was a high standard of teaching and learning observed in St Kieran’s College.
- Students were enthusiastic about attending St Kieran’s and displayed a positive attitude, diligence and sense of community, which clearly exemplifies the college’s characteristic spirit.
- The college’s programme of extracurricular and co-curricular activities is exceptional and exemplary.
- The full report, published in January 2010, can be accessed on the Department of Education and Skills website.
On behalf of my colleagues on the staff, the pupils and parents that make up the St. Kieran’s College Community, I trust that you will find our web site useful and informative.
Mr Adrian Finan