With the advent of Parish Pastoral Councils and the structured involvement of lay people in the life of the diocese, St Kieran’s College Kilkenny, as part of its mission of education and formation, wishes to offer, on behalf of the Catholic Diocese of Ossory, a programme of education for those involved in parish life.
The Programme will be accredited by St Patrick’s College Maynooth as a Level 7 Certificate in Theological Studies (20 credit ECTS).The programme will be offered on the Kilkenny Campus of NUI Maynooth, based at St Kieran’s College. It will continue a tradition of education based on the values of the gospel, of both lay and clerical students, which began in 1782.
This course will be of interest to people who are involved in parish life or to those who are involved with the Diocesan Forum. It may also be of interest to those who wish to deepen and enrich their own understanding of their faith and who are prepared to become involved in parish life.
- To provide general theological education and formation in the main aspects of faith.
- To provide the theological background needed for lay involvement and leadership roles at parish and diocesan level.
Specific Admission Requirements
- Applicants under 23 must have achieved matriculation requirements.
- Applicants over 23 are asked to submit a short piece of no more than 100 words on why they want to do this course.
- Final selection will be based on a short interview.
Special requirements for progression to Certification
- Attendance and participation (85% attendance mandatory).
- Satisfactory completion of assignments.
Methods of Assessment
- Written assignment will be completed at the end of each module.
- The assignment will be decided by the staff member in charge of the module. Such an assignment could range from an essay, a reflective project or review, the completion of class assignments or a learning journal.
100 hours part-time over one academic year from September to May
€400 (Parish sponsorship may be available for those who gain a place on the course).
For further information please contact the following:
Declan Murphy M.A. (Course Director)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Telephone 056-7753624 or 087-9081470
Application Forms can be downloaded HERE
Closing date for applications: 22nd August 2014